Pope Francis speaks again and again about the importance of ‘walking with’ people in whatever the circumstances of their lives, with a practical spirit of compassion, understanding and love. He calls this “the art of accompaniment” and promotes it as an essential element in the Church’s mission.
On this theme see Pope Francis’ writings:
Pope Francis’ homilies
Articles on “the art of accompaniment”:
- Article in America (2014) by Christopher Ruddy, associate professor of historical and systematic theology at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C
- Article by Br John Paul Kern OP in the Domincana
- Walking Away out of Sorrow. Reflection by spirituality writer Fr Ron Rolheiser OMI
- The spirituality of family life. ‘A mission that unfolds, one diaper at a time…’ Article by Tim Muldoon at the Ignatian Spirituality site.
- A Spirituality of Parenting. By Fr Ron Rolheiser OMI. “Being a mother or a father stretches the heart, just as the womb is stretched in pregnancy.”
Walking With Families: a video series produced by Melbourne Archdiocese
- Mission of the Family
- The Domestic Church
- Contemplation, Prayer & Hospitality
- Moving from Prayer to Action